Register    Log in  Reply Start A New Topic View Topics
 Author   Message 
joemuszynski

helo KE listeners!
Mon May 16, 2016 12:40 pm
After seeing one of Kurt's shows in Chicago yesterday, I realized I was out of touch with his music. Our friend Eddie Johnson introduced us to Kurt's music soon after his first album. It used to be easy to see him! Not so much any more! But he is so unique - no one is doing what he does. I had a smile on my face during the whole show!

Looking at this forum I was really saddened to see that Rob Amster had passed. Great musician - Amster and Michael Raynor will be my favorite rhythm section forever. Is Raynor playing currently?

I have been reliving memories today and had a question for everyone: on NYE 1998 (I think) we saw Kurt at the Hothouse (I think!) in Chicago and the show was partly broadcast on radio (I think!!). It was a special night (not least because I won a bottle of Havana Club rum and the couple we didn't know sitting at our table ended up getting engaged through Kurt's assistance from the stage) and someone the next day said they could hear my laugh during the broadcast. Anyone have an old cassette of that?

Any way - nice to be here. A great website for an amazing one-of-a-kind performer.

Best,

Joe

karina

Wed May 18, 2016 9:05 am
Hi Joe, welcome. Sorry can't help, I've only been around this forum since 2008, and the oldest KE broadcast recording I have is from around 2002-2003. Maybe one of the Chicago regulars can help. Good luck.

nejazz

Jazzhound Peeps!
Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:05 pm
Hi fellow jazzhounds! I've been a fan of Kurt's music for many years, but I just discovered this site - ohboy!

KE is one of the very few people who made me pull over the car and just listen, the first time I heard him. I believe him to be the best male vocalist alive. And I'm kinda a music snob. Very Happy

I'm a secretary by profession and a vocalist by passion.

Thanks for all the joy, Kurt, and so glad to connect with other fans.

nejazz

Lucinda Keister

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:36 pm
As many of you may do also, I consider jazz America's classical music. (Got there with the help of Ted Gioia.) Love to hear jazz journeys that are like etudes, concertos, arias, etc.
I greatly respect a well-sung or performed standard, but am truly moved by jazz artists who move on into another realm. "You know why I don't play ballads? Because I love ballads." That's what jazz and art are all about, aren't they? Keith Jarrett letting a beat draw him into a complex, wild ride; Dianne Reeves making "Stormy Weather" into an aria.
So, Kurt Elling?
Walks deep into every song, looking for its essence, adding his creativity and artistic take on the piece until it comes to us, all wrapped up as a unique package of art, a combination of both entities. So I think of each of his songs as I would if I were walking through an art museum, every painting different and complete in itself. "A Prayer for Mr. Davis" so different from his Latin songs, so different from "A House is Not a Home" etc., etc. And, you'll notice, I haven't talked about the other stellar characteristics we all love: the commanding, but chameleon-like voice, the vitality, the grooviness, the out reach to the audience, the humor, and how he dignifies, but never cheapens, deep human feelings.
So, for me, he gives everything I have been looking for in a jazz vocalist, just as Miles did with his trumpet, Trane with his saxophone, and Keith with his piano.
Motivated to arrive at the forum by a beautiful evening at the Hamilton in D. C. last night. I've seen KE about 5 or 6 times, but he was at his best for us. All the usual was there: the fine support he received from the instrumentalists, the polished presentation, the intensity of all the different feelings, but this time, there seemed to be irrepressibly joyous vibes emanating from Mr. E. I'm sure he was happily looking forward to Christmas in NY with family, but that wave of happiness spilled over to all of us and lifted my holiday, too.
Thank you, Mr. E, and carry on!)

Audrey

The Quiet One
Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:52 am
I'm Audrey, also known as the Quiet One who has been a fan of Kurt Elling for a pretty long time. I've seen him live in concert and have enjoyed his shows. I'm going to see him again in Oakland next month. Can't wait.

Gotta go. Hope all is well with everyone.

Sincerely,
Audrey C
aka the Quiet One.

Page 8 of 8 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8