Register    Log in  Reply Start A New Topic View Topics
 Author   Message 
original: jazz_girl

Introduce Yourself thread
Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:27 pm
The jazz_girl started this great thread with the idea of having all the new and returning members introduce themselves a bit. So here's the original thread for your scrolling pleasure! Please continue to add to it!

INTRODUCE YOURSELF THREAD

jazz_girl

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 11:24pm |

Hi everyone!

I thought this could be a thread to introduce yourselves if you are new to the forum! I have been a Kurt fan for a while and I was on the old forum but didnt post overly much! Just wanted to say hi!

Cheers

Jilly

Rev

Posted: 12 April 2006 at 12:15am |

Okay.
Hi, I'm Rev, and this is where I shoot off my fat mouth.

jazz_girl

Posted: 12 April 2006 at 1:03am |

Hi Rev!

Cheryl-Philly

Posted: 13 April 2006 at 12:12pm |

Hi Jazz_Girl,
Hi Rev,

I'm Cheryl from Philly. I'm not new to the forum either, but it's nice to get to know your "neighbors" Smile

Rev - nice portfolio.

C.

Egle

Posted: 13 April 2006 at 12:49pm |

Hello everyone:)
i'd like to exchange greetings and say that it was really great to hear Kurt singing in my country yesterday:)oh, so nice:)

Rev

Posted: 13 April 2006 at 6:48pm |

Thanks Cheryl! I didn't realize I'd
get so much advertising by including that url in my profile.

DamonC

Posted: 14 April 2006 at 1:08pm |

Rev, never underestimate the power of the KE Forum Wink

Cheryl-Philly

Posted: 14 April 2006 at 1:10pm |

Welcome Egle. It's always nice to see someone else appreciate Kurt's artistry.

Rev - That URL made me unpacked my fancy new camera this morning and actually use it -- once Smile LOL (Ok, so you won't have any competition from me)

MaryLynn

Posted: 14 April 2006 at 7:20pm |

Hi Kurt-people!
Rev... yeah, your portfolio is cool. It's great to see who we are!

Rev

Posted: 15 April 2006 at 12:46am |

Yours too MaryLynn-except that It's not showing up from this link. I've just seen it before. I like the expecting ones.

jazzyguy

Posted: 15 April 2006 at 2:38am |

Hello all from the Pacific Northwest (about 25 mins south of Seattle to be specific). Some dang delightful people on this forum. Hey P+T Smile

Have you all seen this cool pic of KE before?

kick-butt photographer - check out his other work on his
website

All Best

Audrey

Posted: 15 April 2006 at 11:41pm |

Hello jazz_girl, jazzyguy and Egle. Welcome. My name is Audrey. I've been a fan of KE and the guys for a number of years. Finally saw them LIVE last December 2005 in Los Angeles. Trying to catch them at the Green Mill for the Chicago experience. One day. Hey, P+T, hope all is well. And yes, jazzyguy, that photo of Kurt is "kick-butt."

Michelle

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 9:16am |

Top of the Easter morning to you new and old members/guests! Rev - your sight is a very interesting one indeed!!!! The picture of that man's back**** was ummmmmmmmm!!!!!

It's all good though - Rev! Must run - late for a very important date.

Michele

ChefBoy

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 8:16pm |

Hi, I'm new here. I've been a fan of KE cerca 2003. Only seen him live once at Birdland (with my pop), but it was by far the best liver performance ever.

emort

Posted: 18 April 2006 at 1:06pm |

hello all kurtski fans!!

great forum. reallly enjoy the give and take and info.

thanks!!

dana

Posted: 18 April 2006 at 2:58pm |

Gee, I guess I've been away from this site for a while. Isn't it nice and spiffy now! Anyway, quick hello to everyone out there. I thought I heard KE had put out a new release. But then too, I mainly listen to the radio in the morning, and I might have been dreaming.

rev

Posted: 18 April 2006 at 6:44pm |

Gotta be the "Take 5" with Al Jareau you heard about, Dana. See the "Take
5" and "Legends of Jazz" threads on the forum for more on it.

Raphael Civille

Posted: 18 April 2006 at 10:57pm |

Hi, my name is Raphael Civille, im an architecture student and trumpet player here in So Paulo, Brazil - All the best !!!

Kenevey

Posted: 19 April 2006 at 7:47am |

Greetings from Ireland,
I'm a long time fan, first time registerererer
I'm all over www.kenevey.com

always cool to see so many Kurt fans, and see the man himself taking part

MaryLynn

Posted: 19 April 2006 at 8:16am |

Rev... Yes, my website had some problems. A new version is up and
running now even tho I've gotta make some changes. Lotsa maternity
here.
Finally saw the 'Legends of Jazz' thing with Al. Always hoping Kurt & Co.
will come to Denver and do two shows!

Cha Cha

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 12:30pm |

Hi,

I'm Cha Cha from Astoria, NY. Been visiting the Forum for a while, but just registered today.

Looking forward to Kurt's Birdland gig in June, around JVC Jazz Festival time--he was incredible the last time he was there a few months back.

jazzyguy

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 7:15pm |

kenevey - enjoyed checking out your site. Congrats on the record deal with Candid - that's huge!

signpost

Posted: 25 April 2006 at 2:47pm |

Yay! for a newly formatted forum. This software (whatever it is called) seems to be pretty popular. Many of the forums that I've seen and visited recently are using this same software.

But anyway, it's good to be here.

Diana

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 9:55am |

It's really great to see so many other Kurt Elling fans. I'm not new to the forum, but this is only my second time posting. Just wanted to say hi to my fellow Kurtski lovers!!

jazz_girl

Posted: 30 April 2006 at 8:16pm | IP Logged

Yay! I'm so glad people people replied to this thread!

Doc Clardy

Posted: 01 May 2006 at 9:29am | IP Logged

Well.....Im DocClardy!!!

KE fan.........wine conisuerr.....professor......retired playa!!!

LOL!!!

Retired playa *lol*

Will Wyatt

Posted: 05 May 2006 at 4:14pm |

Howdy from Texas.

I was a Kurt Elling fan 'til my daughter and I heard him at Birdland in January.

At that point I became a "Rabid Kurt Elling Fan". I was incredibly impressed with his musicality, his stage presence and his easy way with the audience.

I'm an amatuer jazz singer, (glad I've got my day job Wink ) and listening to Kurt is a real inspiration.

Will Wyatt

time2sing

Posted: 05 June 2006 at 10:32pm |

Hello all, I'm a jazz singer, mom, artist, music teacher. . .budding psychotherapist/healer....looking forward to studying with Kurt here in PT at the Centrum jazz workshop. I'm practicing more than ever to get prepared for this incredible oppotunity!! Hearing Kurt last year at the jazz festival totally blew me away--i still get goosebumps when i hear him sing on the CDs, Love LH's piano playing too

--hearing Kurt was a huge inspiration that got me back to the music again after period of feeling blah about singing...

dadaddyman

Posted: 10 June 2006 at 4:00am |

Hi folks, my name's bayo, and I'm an Elling-holic. I'm sooo glad to see that this sesction of the site's been remodeled. I'de been wanting a more community oriented environment in here somewhere, where those from near and far who share the love of kurt's music, could come share their experiences, stories, etc as an active community...as opposed to strangers on the internet highway. I'm digging this!

Barbara

Posted: 12 June 2006 at 2:11pm |

Hi, my name is Barbara (no--really--that's my real name!) I discovered Kurt's music this past fall when I heard "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" on my local jazz station, KCSM, and immediately sent off for "Live in Chicago" from Amazon. I took my husband to see Kurt perform in April at Monterey Live, a wonderful, wonderful experience. I'm considering going to Monterey Jazz Fest for the very first time this coming September!

And I just joined the forum today Smile

mjr.

Posted: 12 June 2006 at 4:38pm |

Barbara, Welcome to this forum and yes, thank the gods for local jazz
stations. I also heard Kurt Elling for the first on a (public) radio broadcast
out of Boston. It was "My Foolish Heart" from Live In Chicago and I said to
myself, "who is that cat?". I am looking forward to hearing the group live
in NYC this Wednesday evening and next Monday evening near Boston!

Haggai1.5

Posted: 16 June 2006 at 8:26am |

Hello. My name is J. D. Parker. I am a hospice chaplain in NYC, covering Manhattan and the Bronx. I listen to jazz as a way to unwind after a hard day. The Kurtski is one of the best "unwinders" in my jazz library. I hope to unwind on 17 Jun 06 at Birdland!

atwyatt

Introductions..
Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:04 pm
Hi everyone
We're the Wyatt's, hence "atwyatt" Smile I, Amanda, am an art psychotherapist, and have been following Kurt since 1994. I belonged to the old forum, but didn't post a lot, only usually after local shows, etc. My husband, Tom, is a journalist, and has also been an avid Kurt fan. I have some great photos of Kurt from the Chicago Jazz Fest in the late 90s; alone, and with Mark Murphy on a side stage...I'll have to put them up on our website soon for you all to see. The great thing about Kurt, Rob, and Lawrence, is that they are very down to earth and easy going. Recently we ran in to Rob at Elm Street Liquors and he gave us his phone number! Must be the Chicago-Midwestern personality. This was a good idea to introduce ourselves...it would be cool to meet up at the Mill some evening! PS- To the woman who is contemplating the Monterey Jazz fest..>GO! I went in 97' and it was amazing.

dlstone

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:14 am
hello everyone. it took me a week to get on the new forum. some of it may be this lovely internet connection i'm working with! oh well, what can you say.

dalemotown

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:07 pm
Hi,

Been a KE fan for about 12 years or so - going back to "This Time, It's Love". Hadn't chimed in for about 2 years; the timing seems great however, what with the new layout and all.

A lot has happened since then, including my remarrying (I got it right this time). Probably the most perfect lady, this side of Jennifer E.
In fact, I was listening to "All Is Quiet" on my way to the church, Dec. 2004.

That's it, for now - I hope to catch KE, LH and the guys up on Mackinac Island in September.

Michele Marie

My introduction
Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:32 pm
Hello everyone out there in KE's world - My name is Michele Marie Randolph - I am a more recent fan of Kurt's. He came to our annual jazz festival here in Albany, New York in September of '05. So believe it or not, I am still taking baby steps to get to know more of KEs music. Thus far, it has been a total world spin. (Oh so awesome.) To see him perform live is mind busting.

ceej

hi everyone...
Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:59 am
i'm ceej... new to the forum... new to this site as well, came across it while i was looking for the lyrics of "Time to say goodbye"...
i'm from the philippines, starting up a jazz band here... i learned about KE when i was in Australia a little over a month ago. a couple of jazz musicians let me hear a few of his songs and i fell in love with him instantly... amazing how he touched my heart right there and then..
i'm so excited to be a part of this forum...
Smile

DFender

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:35 pm
Well, very briefly. My name is Dave and I knew Kurt back before, well, before he was KURT. During my stint as a DJ at a jazz station outside Dallas, I was spinning discs one day when lo and behold this familiar face graced the cover of "Close Your Eyes." I couldn't quite believe it, but when I popped open the case and heard the opening notes of the title track, I knew I could finally lay claim to knowing somebody famous.

Anyway, I finally had a chance to see Kurt live and in person a couple of years ago at a show outside Denver and had a nice, if very brief, catch up conversation as I bothered him before the show. It's great to see that he's still the warm, friendly, extremely intelligent guy that I knew all those years ago.

I've lurked around the previous incarnation of the site for quite some time and noticed the wonderfully intelligent people who populate the place -- and what else, should I expect? So, anyway, the new site looks great and I join the chorus of kudos and wishes for all the best!

Luke

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:04 pm
Hello everyone, my name is luke marantz. I'm fifteen years old and have been listening to jazz all of my life. It is for sure, my passion. I've been listening to Kurt for some time now, and have been coming to this forum for about a year and reading from it but i haven't joined until recently. I figured that this would be the best place to try and get started here. I'm very excited to become a part of the forum and hope to be a part of some great jazz and kurt discussions in the future!

Alisa

Glad to be here
Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:17 pm
Yesterday..thought I'd come back and be here again and what a wonderful surprise..this site looks amazing and I'm so glad I checked things out. Ya know how sometimes you get in a funky mood and just stop doing some of the little things that make you smile..well this site is one of those little things and it has always made me smile. Yesterday I laughed out loud when I saw what had been done here and looked at KE's hotel window pictures..that was just plain old fun. I only got to the hotel pictures..even saw one that looked out onto a scene that I see at least 5 times a week in Bethesda..ok..not gonna let life keep me away from here for months again..that's just plain silly...glad to see the familiar names and the new ones..hi everybody Very Happy Ok so obviously I Love Kurt Elling and Laurence Hobgood and Rob Amster and Willie Jones..and I don't know Kobie Watkins yet but I'm sure he's just as amazing. I've seen them in concert 3 times..My entire family is into KE these days..my 15 year old son (who is Autistic and amazingly discriminating when it comes to music is enthralled ), my husband (who was sceptical at first) loves the sound, alas not my 17 year old daughter...just not enough hip hop there..she knows all of the words to the songs though and sings along if she thinks we aren't noticing.
I'm a Globetrotter, lover of all kinds of people, I hate injustice in any form and crave beauty..I write poetry and stories and read voraciously..sometimes just mind candy, other times deeper fare...I'm really loving all forms of jazz nowadays too....listening to som of the old standards...so that's a bit of me..well maybe more than what was asked for huh? I obviously like talking about myself too.... Rolling Eyes

andrea

hi everybody
Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:13 am
I'm from rome, italy. I'm 34,i work in a bookshop and play jazz piano. I'm waiting for a KE italian tour, and desperately searching for a copy of the outtakes!
Keep swingin'

kay_leen

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:40 pm
Hello, I am Kay and live in Chicago and have been interested in Kurt for awhile which means I've gotten to hear him live many times. It is always a wonderful experience, both musically and psychicly. psykikcly. scichikly.

in my head.

I also had the rare pleasure of attending a master class with Kurt and got a sense of what the work really is for something he makes look so easy. And also a sense of his joy in the work. Ah, he is good, isn't he?

So, I'll be checking back in more frequently now that I am registered to see what you all are talking about!

Crespire

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:34 pm
Hey there,

Just thought I'd pipe in aswell. I've been listening to Kurt for a while now, and I have to say, I think it's through his recordings that I've kind of developed my own style of singing. Needless to say, I think very highly of his music. It's such an inspiration, I'm sure to everyone. I wish he'd come to Toronto, but his schedule looks really full. Anyways, keep up the awesome work, can't wait for the 2007 album!

SANDILEGONTSANA

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:20 am
Hi All, my name is Sandile form South Africa, Cape Town. I'm currently studying Music (Jazz Vocals) at the University of Cape Town. I've always loved Kurt Elling and you know what he's my no. 1 Male Jazz Vocalist, and to prove that, I have all his albums!! Yeh!! Nice to know that there are other really great Kurt Elling fans!!

dougles1

Doug in MN
Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:56 pm
Greetings fellow KE people Very Happy

I recently moved from Seattle to Minneapolis to attend graduate school in the University of Minnesota's Ph.D. program in American Studies. My focus is still pretty broad, but I tend to deal with the intersections of racial and sexual minorities from a historical lens. I am also particularly interested in power structures, critical theory, resistance politics, and critiques of the nation-state/nationalism.

As far as Mr. Elling goes, I was exposed to the voice while still in high school, and have been hooked since. I fondly recall listening and re-listeing to Tanya Jean for hours in an attempt to be able to hit every note. Razz Seen him several times in Seattle, and am looking forward to seeing him and his fellow cats perform here in Minneapolis in March.

I enjoy a wide variety of music, including Mr. Elling's fellow Chicagoan, Patricia Barber (go get her new album, it's lovely), a slew of other jazz cats like Miles, Bill Evans, Coltrane, Seattle's own Dave Peck. I also enthusiastically listen to whatever is playing on KEXP (www.kexp.org for most people, 90.3 FM in Seattle), which exposed me to some of my other favorite sounds including Bjrk, Massive Attack, The Arcade Fire, Band of Horses, Wilco, and Sufjan Stevens, to name a few. Oh yeah, and I love the Smashing Pumpkins Very Happy

I sporadically posted on the previous incarnation of this forum, and I always enjoyed it then...so I'm sure this will be equally as enjoyable Smile

sunshine

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:12 pm
Hi,

I'm Nancy and I've known of Kurt since before Close Your Eyes was released. He never ceases to amaze me with his innovation and incredible voice!! I've been fortunate to have seen him perform live in Chicago many many times and can't wait for the next!!!

Nice to meet you all!!!

Page 1 of 8 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next