Register    Log in  Reply Start A New Topic View Topics
 Author   Message 
withsong

Sheet music of My Foolish Heart?
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:31 pm
Hi all,

I'm new to Kurt's website. Smile I started listening to his music from his "My Foolish Heart". I wish somewhere out there where I could find the sheet music (maybe for a trio with voice or something) of this song though. It's beautiful and one of my favorites. If any of you guys know the place, could you please let me know? Smile Thank you very much!

Sam

P+T

My Foolish Heart/Moth (SSATB)
Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:22 pm
Welcome. withsong!

Alas, My Foolish Heart is not one of the charts for sale in Kurt's Store (kurtelling.com/store), as you've probably discovered.

However, you're in luck!

In the middle of the night I remembered that arranger Kerry Marsh has done several KE tunes for vocal ensembles (SATB, etc) and sells those on his website.

Here's what he has for My Foolish Heart. Not cheap, but I believe it's what you're looking for. L4 means its difficulty level is 4.

Quote:
This arrangement was the winning submission in the first of three "Marsh Madness" tournaments to determine which charts I'd write, and the winning submitter was Sally Greenaway. The chart is based on Kurt Elling's version of the standard (arranged by Laurence Hobgood, his pianist and collaborator, as well), with the inserted "Moth" poem by Rabia, an 8th century mystic from Basra, Iraq.

Notated and chord chart piano, notated bass (with chords), drums

My Foolish Heart/Moth (SSATB - L4)
https://kerrymarshvocaljazz.myshopify.com/collections/vocal-jazz-ensemble-arrangement/products/my-foolish-heart-moth-ssatb-l4

~ Trudy Cool

withsong

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:02 pm
Thank you P+T!

Yes I've discovered his arrangement, but it's just super expensive >_< and I only need the cheat sheet or a chord chart lol instead of a full vocal ensemble score... But I guess that's my only option unless I transcribe myself lol. Thank you still P+T!

P+T

YT "video demo" of Kerry Marsh's arrangement
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:15 pm
Hey withsong, I just found a video demo of Kerry Marsh's arrangement of My Foolish Heart for SSATB. Check it out!

My Foolish Heart/Moth (SSATB) - Video Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9l2GTaEfCY

This may give you a very close approximation of what you're looking for.

Just do screenshots of each page of music shown in the video.

Best of luck!

~ Trudy Cool

mjr

the cheat sheet or a chord chart
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:10 am
That cheat sheet or a chord chart will be yours with an iPod, an MP3, a sharp pencil and some manuscript paper or a Finale/Sibelius type program plus a few hours of good, honest work and musicianship.

withsong

Re: YT "video demo" of Kerry Marsh's arrangement
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:17 pm
P+T wrote:
Hey withsong, I just found a video demo of Kerry Marsh's arrangement of My Foolish Heart for SSATB. Check it out!

My Foolish Heart/Moth (SSATB) - Video Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9l2GTaEfCY

This may give you a very close approximation of what you're looking for.

Just do screenshots of each page of music shown in the video.

Best of luck!

~ Trudy Cool

Thank you P+T. It does shed some light Smile

withsong

Re: the cheat sheet or a chord chart
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:28 pm
mjr wrote:
That cheat sheet or a chord chart will be yours with an iPod, an MP3, a sharp pencil and some manuscript paper or a Finale/Sibelius type program plus a few hours of good, honest work and musicianship.

I just need a whip on the butt to do this.

And a little bit more free time.

And a little more musicianship...

Embarassed

mjr

Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:04 pm
"I just need a whip on the butt to do this.And a little bit more free time. And a little more musicianship..."

We've all been there. It is certainly a lot of work but it is how this music was originally learned, more by ear than by reading the page. And then to write it down and have that as a guide. You can feel good about that and with each transcription, you'll get better at it.

When I started at music school in 1981; YouTube, the internet, MP3 downloads, ITUNES, music writing programs, sheet music services, printers, personal computers, and cell phones did not exist and most of the well-written/legitimate fake books and transcription books did not exist in print. That all had to be done by ear and written out by hand from record albums, cassettes, or by working with and learning from other musicians.

withsong

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:21 pm
mjr wrote:
"I just need a whip on the butt to do this.And a little bit more free time. And a little more musicianship..."

We've all been there. It is certainly a lot of work but it is how this music was originally learned, more by ear than by reading the page. And then to write it down and have that as a guide. You can feel good about that and with each transcription, you'll get better at it.

When I started at music school in 1981; YouTube, the internet, MP3 downloads, ITUNES, music writing programs, sheet music services, printers, personal computers, and cell phones did not exist and most of the well-written/legitimate fake books and transcription books did not exist in print. That all had to be done by ear and written out by hand from record albums, cassettes, or by working with and learning from other musicians.

Page 1 of 1