Register    Log in  Reply Start A New Topic View Topics
 Author   Message 
Solan49

Kurt Elling in Stockholm
Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:48 pm
I´m so looking forward to the concert with Kurt and his band in Stockholm November 4th! It´s so nice to have him back here, it´s five years since he was here for a concert.I´m so happy to welcome him to Stockholm!

I´m also very happy to welcome my dear friend Karina Felix from Luxembourg to visit Stockholm for the first time and to stay with me and my husband. We will attend the concert together. I´m really looking forward to your stay, Karina! Music can really make friends come together!

Hugs to you all
Solveig

karina

Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:16 pm
It sure can. Very much looking forward to seeing you and Per again, Solveig. KE concerts are always a joy, and have become the perfect excuse for city trips and meeting up with friends.

Kurt's music has been a blessing over the last years, and I am so grateful for the friends I found on this forum; those I met in person (you and Per, atroi, Zazuzen, Kay_Leen, BBF and JazzSailor), and those I know through writing and FB and hope to meet some day (Trudy and mjr).

I hope to welcome you and other forum friends in Luxembourg for Kurt's concert with the Branford Marsalis Quartet next March.

atroi

Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:58 am
I´m patiently waiting for a review ( maybe even a setlist? )...

karina

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:31 pm
Hi atroi. Not much time to put anything to paper. Busy at the office after a great week off, first celebrating my mum's 80th Birthday in Belgium, and then traveling to Stockholm to visit Solveig and Per and to attend the KE concert. Sorry you couldn't join us.

We had three wonderful days. Solveig and Per showed me around; we explored the old town, visited the City Hall and the Vasa and Nordic Museum. We hadn't seen each other in a year, so it was nice to spend some time together and catch up.

The concert night was the icing on the cake, obviously. We enjoyed every minute of it. The band opened with Strings in the Earth and Air, the first poem from James Joyce's Chamber Music, seguing into Where the Streets Have No Name, and closed out with the signature song Nature Boy. In between, well over an hour and a half of rock-solid musicianship, with a nice mix of old and new material. Songs from the new album -Some Children See Him, Little Drummer Boy, Same Old Lang Syne, Star of Wonder- the two vocaleses we discovered in Amsterdam last year -Three Views to a Secret and Lawns-, and some all-time favorites -The Waking and Tanya Jean. And Skylark as an extra special treat. We didn't write down the set list, so I'm not sure I got it right.

After the show, we were lucky enough to spend a little time with Kurt and Bryan, who were excellent company. Thanks so much for a lovely evening!

And thanks to Solveig and Per, for having me. Erik and I hope to see you all again in Luxembourg next March.

Hugs, Karina

PS. Off to bed now, hoping for some good news from the other side of the pond tomorrow.

karina

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:38 pm
'Music speaks a universal language. Music fills the world in your head, the world outside your head, and embraces it all -- it reorders confusion into a dramatic shape that gives us a deeper more intuitive comprehension than words can offer -- and it tempers all with beauty.'

Patricia Barber posted this on FB. The only thing offering solace today.

Solan49

Kurt Elling in Stockholm
Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:07 pm
Thanks, Karina, for the nice review of our days in Stockholm and the Concert evening!
It was so nice to have you here, the weather was on our side(in the opposite of yesterday and today) and i think we had three lovely days together. It´s so nice that you liked them too.
I loved the Concert very much. The musicians are great, the Christmas songs, new to me, were so wonderful. They really give me a feeling of Christmas and winter, a very cosy feeling. Other favourites of mine at the Concert were when Kurt sang"Lawns" and the encore "Skylark". I love them both very much. John Mc Leans intro to Skylark is so wonderful and then when Kurt starts to sing and the other musicians join in, it´s such a magical moment. I almost stop breathing.
The meeting with Kurt and Brian after the Concert was so wonderful. We had a lovely chat and they are so charming. Thanks for taking your time!
"The Beautiful Day" is a lovely Christmas CD and the tune where Luiza Elling sings is a favourite of mine. She has a very sweet voice.

I think Karina remembers the tunes very well but here is the setlist from the Concert Hall:
1. Strings in the Earth and Air
2. Where the streets have no name
3. Happy thought
4. Some Children see him(i love this one)
5. Little drummer boy
6. Same old lang syne
7. Star of wonder
8. Three views of a secret
9. The waking
10. Tanya Jean
11 Lawns
12. Nature boy
encore : Skylark

Hope we´ll meet in Luxembourg in March 2017!

karina

Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:00 pm
No wonder I forgot A Happy Thought... Maybe there's nothing there to be afraid of, but there sure is here (sigh).

P+T

Stockholm concert recording available after 1st of year
Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:17 am
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences in Stockholm - and for the set list! A bit different from the set at Ronnie Scott's. It's always great to experience new KE music, and I'm really glad you had a chance to hear Lawns and Three Views of a Secret.

And now here's a *really* happy thought:

Kurt's manager tells me that the Stockholm concert was recorded and will be available for viewing on the Stockholm Concert Hall / Stockholms Konserthus website, probably after the first of the year.

As always, faithful Forum fans will be the first to know!

Cool ~Trudy

Solan49

Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:20 am
P+T, great news! Thank you for telling me about the recording from the Concert Hall in Stockholm! Lovely to hear and it was a wonderful concert! I love The Beautiful Day album so much!
Best
Solveig

Page 1 of 1