Register    Log in  Reply Start A New Topic View Topics
 Author   Message 
msbarry

Jon Hendricks' 95th Birthday w. Kurt Elling at The Iridium
Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:58 pm
Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone here is planning on attending this? I believe it was announced just a few days ago.

I'm going to the late show on the 28th. It will be my first time seeing Jon Hendricks!

I'm having a very lucky streak with Kurt; I saw his Sydney show recently and now this pops up while on holidays in NYC!!

P+T

Update on the Iridium shows celebrating Jon Hendricks
Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:53 am
Michael, it's great that you'll be on holidays in NYC next week and can take in the late show on the 28th!

Afterward, please come back and share your stories with us here.

Here's an update on these 3 shows at the Iridium, Sept. 27 (8 pm) & Sept. 28 (8 & 10 pm):

Jon Hendricks will be present, but he's not performing. At 95, he's too frail to sing in public.

His two vocalist daughters, Aria Hendricks and Michele Hendricks, will be there and will perform.

The list of special guest performers has expanded, too. It now includes Kevin Mahogany, Janis Siegel, Kurt Elling, Aria Hendricks, Michele Hendricks, Kevin Burke, Steve Ash, Paul Myers, Neal Miner, Andy Farber, Andy Watson, The Royal Bopsters and more. (How many can they fit into a 75 min set?!?)

Kurt says he will be singing only one number, and with that many performers, I'd guess that each will be featured for just a short time. Don't know about any group tunes, duets, or other combos.

Press release about Jon Hendricks' 95th Birthday Celebration at the Iridium is here.

In 2011, Edward Randell (now with the Swingle Singers) interviewed Jon for Jazzwise magazine in conjunction with the release of Kurt Elling's The Gate.

You can read that piece here:

Spirits From Above
Edward Randell
Jazzwise, March 2011

~Trudy Cool

msbarry

Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:17 am
My girlfriend and I just returned from the Iridium. It was a joyous party atmosphere and an extremely memorable evening!

Kurt performed in several combinations, however his song selection for his solo piece was...Home Cooking!

I never thought I'd get to hear this live again, and of course it was great to share it with my girlfriend. Great performance; lots of gusto!

Kurt made special mention of tenor saxophonist George Coleman who was sitting in the audience a little to our left!

Jon was sitting off to one side smiling during the whole performance.

At the end, Jon Hendricks was brought up to the stage while being braced by Kurt. He was encouraged to scat a little, which he managed. Bless.

It was a great success, and on our way out we had a brief chat to Kurt; he was very gracious as usual.

I won't forget tonight anytime soon!

P+T

Jon's 95th birthday celebration!
Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:06 pm
Michael, thanks so much for sharing about this joyous celebration!

It's amazing that at 95, Jon is still active enough to go out, be present at three shows, and actually get up on stage and scat a little. From a couple of pix of Tuesday's show, he was on stage with his daughters and Nanny Assis for a bit, too.

Jon's Home Cookin' is a treat - even if it is serously politically incorrect (to say nothing about its nutritional value)! Wink

Just for fun, here's Kurt's 2001 vintage performance at the Newport Jazz Festival:

Home Cookin'
Music by Horace Silver / lyric by Jon Hendricks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTg0IPRYudM[b]

Enjoy! ~Trudy Cool

Page 1 of 1