Register    Log in  Reply Start A New Topic View Topics
 Author   Message 
msbarry

I Feel So Smoochie (incorporating 'The Jerk')
Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:11 am
Hey guys!

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

I saw Kurt a few nights ago in Sydney with my girlfriend (he now has a new fan Razz) which was incredible as always.

I was describing some of my earlier experiences seeing Kurt, and I recalled a performance of the above named piece. I thought it was one of the funniest things I've seen Kurt do, and I was wondering if anyone is aware of a DVD/Blu Ray of a performance of this?

I would love to share it with her!

Thanks,

Michael.

Rick Hammond

Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:26 pm
I Feel So Smoochie is on one of Kurt's earlier CDs from 1998, This Time Its Love. There's many more tasty tunes on the CD.

msbarry

Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:43 pm
Thank you for that; that cd version doesn't include the rant/poem 'The Jerk' like in the live performance I saw.

I appreciate the tip, though!

P+T

The Jerk (sadly, no recording)
Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:23 pm
Hi Michael, and welcome to the Forum! Glad you and your girlfriend were able to catch Kurt in Sydney last week.

Your question was the first I'd heard of Kurt performing "The Jerk." At first I thought maybe you were referring to "The Joker."

Googling, I found this reference to that 2000 performance on the Vocalese website, but alas, no recording.

Quote:
http://ralf.org/~colomon/vocalese/elling.html

I caught their first set at the Bird of Paradise on July 7th, 2000. Great show. The setlist included

Trio plays into.
"Downtown"
"Resolution" -- Great new vocalese on the Out Takes CD.
"Not While I'm Around" -- from Sweeney Todd. I want a recording of this.
"I Feel So Smoochie" incorporating "The Jerk". Amazingly funny reading of a funny poem. I'd kill for a recording of this!
"April in Paris"
"Night Dreamer"

Kurt likes to surprise audiences with things they haven't heard before on his albums, and in some cases may never hear again. Wink I don't know anything about the rant/poem.

As Rick Hammond mentioned, I Feel So Smoochie is on This Time It's Love. I didn't find any performance videos of it on YouTube.

~Trudy Cool

msbarry

Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:04 pm
Wow - thanks for looking into that for me! I wonder if the poem itself can be located in lieu of a recording...I wonder who wrote it? Kurt himself, perhaps?

P+T

The Jerk, by Jeffrey McDaniel
Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:07 pm
Michael, I finally located the poem in question, and Kurt has confirmed that this is the one!

The Jerk
Jeffrey McDaniel
http://jessk-borrowed-wisdom.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-jerk-by-jeffrey-mcdaniel.html

This poem is from McDaniel's 1998 book, The Forgiveness Parade.

Kurt said he first heard it at a Sunday night Uptown Poetry Slam at the Green Mill, hosted by Marc Kelly Smith. Don't know if McDaniel was the person who performed it at the Slam or someone else.

~Trudy Cool

msbarry

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:34 pm
Hi Trudy,

Amazing!! Thank you so much for finding this and posting the link. You've made my day. Smile

I will post again once I've shared it with my girlfriend!

Thanks again,

Michael.

Page 1 of 1