Register    Log in  Reply Start A New Topic View Topics
 Author   Message 
GeoffC

Kurt in Sydney Australia
Thu May 26, 2016 9:20 pm
I am looking forward with great anticipation to seeing Kurt and the group return once again to Sydney on Friday June 3, this time in a different venue, the City Recital Hall. This follows several performances at a night club in Melbourne. I hope to catch a glimpse and maybe a word with Kurt at the CD signing afterwards. I will post a brief review following the Sydney concert.

P+T

Tonight's show in Sydney
Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:27 am
Hi Geoff, I hope you got my e-mail this afternoon about the CD signing and talking with Kurt.

It looks like a pretty full house tonight, at least on the lower levels. From fans' many positive comments about the Melbourne concerts, this should be a terrific evening!

Looking forward to your review - and it needn't be brief. Forum folks *love* to read personal stories and color commentary, so go long form if you like.

~ Trudy Cool

GeoffC

Review of the Sydney Concert
Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:18 pm
The Kurt Elling concert at the City Recital Hall in Sydney was a surprise as it was billed on the Touring page of his website as being a Passion World concert. I went along with that expectation but when he started with "Steppin' Out" I wondered what other numbers would follow. As you know, "Steppin' Out" has Kurt quickly into his scat singing with great energy which was a terrific way to start the concert. He then proceeded to work through the extensive Kurt Elling songbook from his career with some new numbers thrown in.
I did not have a notepad to record all the numbers but his vocalese extension of "Body and Soul" with attribution to Dexter Gordon was again a highlight. His use of a 12th Century poem titled "I Like the Sunrise" had the beautiful Duke Ellington supporting melody. As from The Jazz Cruise he sang the as yet untitled vocalese lyrics over a Carla Blay tune "Lawns". The American Songbook standard "Skylark" started with a quiet, delightful introduction by John McLean on guitar. The band was also in top form. Gary Versace on piano certainly adds an extra dimension on organ. Clark Somers on bass gave some superb solos and accompanied Kurt on "I Wake to Sleep", a number I first heard sung with the now departed Rob Amster. Kendrick Scott was not on drums but as usual, Kurt has found another superb artist who obviously enjoyed his experience and gave sensitive support as well as energetic solos when given the chance. I do not remember the number but John McLean had an incredible solo of great complexity and improvisation while at other times providing quiet support in the background. Of course Kurt gave his all and after a standing ovation following "Nature Boy" came back for an encore of "Embraceable You" from the American Songbook.
The City Recital Hall, although having a 1200 capacity, provided an intimate venue with excellent acoustics, a nice compromise between the Sydney Opera House and a night club. Due to my not having access to Email just before the concert I was not able to meet him on this occasion but I thank his manager for trying to arrange this for me. It was a surprising but fantastic concert full of variety of moods from quiet numbers to soaring numbers featuring Kurt's incredible vocal range. Kurt said that he loves returning to Sydney and of course we love having him here. Please come back soon!

karina

Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:35 pm
Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing, Geoff.

Page 1 of 1