Register    Log in  Reply Start A New Topic View Topics
 Author   Message 
P+T

LAST CALL - DownBeat Readers Poll closes at midnight Aug 16
Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:20 am
It's time to vote in the 78th Annual DownBeat Readers poll! You don't even have to subscribe -- just love jazz.

Kurt has topped the DownBeat Readers Poll 7 times before, including last year. He was also named Male Vocalist of the Year in the DownBeat Critics Poll again this year -- that's 14 straight years!

Let's make it a clean sweep again this year with another KE win in the DownBeat Readers Poll.

You can vote right now -- on line, just as you are. Just go to the DownBeat website and click the Vote! 78th Annual DownBeat Readers Poll banner at the top.

Update 08/10/13: If you don't have much time and you just want to vote for Kurt, check out the Super Fast Voting Guide below to vote for Kurt in under 2 minutes.

Update 08/02/13: DownBeat has just announced that voting will be open until midnight on Friday, August 16. Presumably that's Central Daylight Time (DownBeat offices are in Elmhurst, IL).

DownBeat has provided popular selections in each category for your convenience, but of course you're not limited to those. You can vote for anyone not on the list by typing in the name at My Choice at the end of each question.

If you want to share any recommendations with us here, please do so. For example, Von Freeman, Jon Hendricks, and Mark Murphy are listed in the popular selections for the DownBeat Hall of Fame, but Sheila Jordan is not (she's a possible write-in).

You don't have to vote in every category, and you can exit the survey before you're done and come back later if you like. You can also go back to previous pages. However, once you click Done on the last page, you're done. Cool

Handy Voters' Guide for all the pages in the survey:

1. Your name and e-mail address

2. HALL OF FAME
DownBeat provides a list of potential candidates, or you can type in your choice instead. They also include a list of people already in the Hall of Fame, so don't write them in.

3. JAZZ ARTIST, GROUP AND BIG BAND OF THE YEAR
Jazz Artist
Jazz Group
Big Band

Note: Kurt Elling is on the Jazz Artist popular selections list.

4. JAZZ ALBUM/HISTORICAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Jazz Album (Released June 1, 2012 to May 31, 2013)
Historical Album (Released June 1, 2012 May 31, 2013)

Note: Kurt Elling, 1619 Broadway - The Brill Building Project (Concord) is not on the Jazz Album popular selections list. If you want to vote for it, please type it in.

5. BRASS ARTISTS OF THE YEAR
Trumpet
Trombone

6. REED ARTISTS OF THE YEAR
Soprano Saxophone
Alto Saxophone
Tenor Saxophone
Baritone Saxophone
Clarinet
Flute

7. KEYBOARDISTS OF THE YEAR
Piano
Electronic Keyboard
Organ

Note: Laurence Hobgood is not on Piano popular selections list, but you can type him in if you like.

8. STRING ARTISTS OF THE YEAR
Guitar
Bass
Electric Bass
Violin

9. PERCUSSION ARTISTS OF THE YEAR
Drums
Vibes
Percussion

10. MISCELLANEOUS INSTRUMENT ARTIST OF THE YEAR

11. JAZZ VOCALISTS OF THE YEAR
Male Vocalist
Female Vocalist

Note: Kurt Elling is on the Male Vocalist popular selections list.

12. COMPOSER, ARRANGER & RECORD LABEL OF THE YEAR
Composer
Arranger
Record Label

Note: Laurence Hobgood is on the Arranger popular selections list.

13. BLUES & BEYOND CATEGORIES
Blues Artist or Group
Blues Album (Released June 1, 2012 to May 31, 2013)
Beyond Artist or Group
Beyond Album (Released June 1, 2012 May 31, 2013)

Please cast your vote now, while you're thinking of it. Doesn't take long, and it's fun. And tell all your jazz-loving friends, too.

Thanks for getting out the jazz vote!

P+T

Reminder - Voting closes at midnight August 16
Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:32 am
Just a friendly reminder that the 2013 DownBeat Readers Poll is still open, but it won't be for much longer.

Voting closes at midnight on Friday, August 16.

So vote now, while it's fresh in your mind and you're not up against the deadline. And please tell all of your jazz-loving friends to join you in casting your votes for the Best in Jazz in multiple categories.

Just go to the DownBeat website and click the Vote! banner at the top.

Or even faster . . .

Go to the direct link to the first page of the 2013 DownBeat Readers Poll.

P+T

Super Fast Voting Guide
Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:03 am
Maybe you don't have time to go through the all various categories in the DownBeat Readers Poll and you just want to vote for Kurt for Male Vocalist of the Year. You can do that in under 2 minutes!

Here's how:

1. Go directly to the first page of the DownBeat Readers Poll.

2. Enter your name & e-mail to be eligible to vote.

3. Click Next to go to page 2.

4. Keep clicking Next at the bottom of each page until you get to Page 11. JAZZ VOCALISTS OF THE YEAR.

5. Kurt's name is at the top of the second column. Click the radio button to select it.

6. Then keep clicking Next at the bottom of each page until you get to the end and then click Done. That's it, you're done - in less than 2 minutes!

If you have a little more time and you also want to vote for Kurt for Jazz Artist of the Year, go to Page 3. JAZZ ARTIST, GROUP AND BIG BAND OF THE YEAR.

Kurt's name is toward the bottom of the first column.

And if you have a moment or two more and you want to vote for 1619 Broadway - The Brill Building ProjectJazz Album of the Year, go to Page 4. JAZZ ALBUM/HISTORICAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR.

In the box for My Choice (Type in or select from the list above), type in Kurt Elling, 1619 Broadway.

Many thanks for whatever votes you have the time and inclination to cast for your jazz favorites this year!

Results will be announced in the December issue of DownBeat.

Remember, voting closes at midnight on Friday, August 16.

P+T

Voting, Hall of Fame, Jon Hendricks, & random thoughts
Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:55 am
Have you voted yet???

You've got less than 24 hours to get your ballot in so it will be counted!

I voted last weekend in most, but not all of the categories. It took me about 20 minutes all told.

The Hall of Fame category was a hard one. So many great artists to honor! I finally chose Jon Hendricks. Jon will be 92 next month and has contributed so much to vocal jazz as a soloist and in Lambert, Hendricks & Ross, to the art of vocalese, and to lyric writing in general.

And Jon's been a mentor, influence, and great friend to Kurt. As Jon commented in Spirits from Above: Jon Hendricks on Kurt Elling in Jazzwise magazine (2011):

Quote:
Jazzwise asked Hendricks, now 89, about the pretender to his crown, and his verdict was simple: "Kurt Elling is remarkable." Hendricks first met Elling when giving a university masterclass on jazz. "I asked, 'does anybody wanna come scat with me?', and this young guy jumped up, you know, and he came running up the aisle, jumped onto the stage. I thought, who the hell is this guy? And he had all the energy that he needed -- and it was all good, there was this big smile on his face -- and I said boy, this guy's something. And so we scatted together, and after that night we were friends, and I began to nurture him and feed him everything I think he needed to have, you know. And he calls me Pops to this day. He's a sweet guy.

I was also surprised by the number of artists in various categories whose names and music aren't familiar to me yet! A great opportunity to explore lots of new sounds.

Peter also voted last weekend. He was more selective, shall we say, voting in only a few categories, so it went much faster for him.

So please VOTE NOW, in as few or as many categories as you like. And remember that you can stop in the middle and go back and finish later, as long as you finish and click Done by midnight CDT Friday night, August 16.

~ Trudy Cool

Page 1 of 1